Monday, November 12, 2012

Gaming Update for the Fall

The fall has brought a lot of fun new games out. I haven't had much time to play, but here are some games I have spent time with recently:


  • Crusader Kings II - I picked this up in a Steam sale. It is a fairly complex game simulating dynastic geopolitics of the middle ages. In my initial attempt while reading through an LP on somethingawful I quickly found myself in trouble. A region in my command soon revolted, and I had gone on the warpath against a neighbor that I didn't have the ability to defeat. You have to handle things with your family, managing the marriage of people, placing them into posts, dealing with threats from family members, and threats from outside your realm. Despite my disastrous initial attempt, this looks like it will be a game that will be entertaining for a long time.
  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Firaxis did a superb job in their remake of this classic game. It is fun and the missions are short enough that you can pop in and do a quick one if you don't have a lot of time. My initial game is probably up in the air at this point, as I didn't get a good grasp on the strategic part of the game soon enough, but it is still fun to see how far I can go, and then I will try again. My team has suffered pretty high attrition the past couple of months, with a lot of veterans being lost. We have started to get some tech improvements though which should help, but we are also facing much tougher opposition now.
  • Torchlight 2 - I have had some fun playing Torchlight 2 as well. It is a very nice ARPG, and runic has done a fine job with their sequel to their initial game. I have seen comments elsewhere that this is the true sequel to Diablo. I have never played the earlier Diablo games so I have no authority to comment on the veracity of that statement.
  • The Operational Art of War - I have been spending time with Norm Koger's classic wargame lately as I have been in my military history mood. This is the Matrix edition that came out in 2006.
  • Squad Battles: Falklands - A John Tiller title covering small unit actions in the Falklands campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment