Sunday, September 16, 2012

Updates

I have been doing a horrible job updating this blog. So here are some updates:

1. New job -- After 12 years I left my job in the UNIX sustaining group at Stratus and went to work for Oracle in their Linux Kernel and Virtualization group, working on the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel team. I am working remotely from home which gives me the ability to see my daughter more than before. I have been working the new job for a month now. So far it seems to be going well.

2. Books that I have read recently -- Here are some books that I have read this year:

The World of Null-A by A.E. Van Vogt - old sf book that was entertaining to read.
Hackers & Painters by Paul Graham - Great collection of essays.
Black Swan by Bruce Sterling - okay sf short story
A Genius for War by Dupuy - Good book discussing the history of the German General Staff.
How to be a Programmer by Robert Read - pdf from online that was an okay read
The Google Resume by Gayle McDowell - Decent book on today's tech job market
Redshirts by John Scalzi - very entertaining sf book
The Cuckoo's Egg by Cliff Stoll - Always a great read
Makers by Cory Doctorow - ok book extrapolating the rise of the diy/maker culture
Why Good People Can't Get Jobs by Peter Cappelli - An interesting take on the jobs situation
Old Man's War by Scalzi - Another good sf book
WebMage by Kelly McCullough - A decent fantasy book that mixes cyber and magic
Team Geek by Ben Collins-Sussman and Brian Fitzpatrick - A great book about tech teams and being a team member
Griftopia by Matt Taibbi - Probably the best explanation of the causes of the financial crisis that there is

3. Games I have been playing -- I haven't spent much time on games this year, but here are some I have been playing lately:

FTL - A roguelike where you control a spaceship and crew. Very quick and entertaining.
Guild Wars 2 - Probably the 1st MMO that has really caught me outside of WoW.
Diablo 3 - Good mindless fun.

4. Games I am looking forward to in the future -- Here are some games coming out in the future that I am looking forward to:

X-Com: Enemy Unknown -- Finally it looks like someone is doing a good follow up to X-com.
Torchlight II - Should be an entertaining arpg.
Borderlands 2 - The first game was fun and had a lot of style, so hopefully they will hit all the right notes again with the sequel.
Planetary Annihilation - Just finished a kickstarter. Total Annihilation type rts on a galactic scale.
Wasteland 2 - Another kickstarter project, making a sequel to on of the great games of the 80s.
Clang - A kickstarter project by Neal Stephenson that is trying to make a sword fighting game.
Grim Dawn - A kickstarter project making an ARPG from the same guys that made Titan Quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment